Re: sqlplus small doubt

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 31 Jan 1999 01:12:07 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:32:12 GMT, kvsraju_at_usa.net wrote:

>I have my Oracle 8.0.3.0 database running on windows nt platform.
>All my users,they will be connected to database using an account,say TEST1
>Now i want to make sure that all the users cann't drop tables.
>How is it possible?
>there is no command called DROP TABLE to disable the user.
>so i want to control through sql*plus
>How is it possible.

My new book has a chapter on this. The following insert should work to restrict access to the DROP command for user TEST1:

	insert into product_profile
		(product, userid, attribute, char_value)
		values ('SQL*Plus','TEST1','DROP','DISABLED');

Remember, SQL*Plus is the only product that respects the product profile. It is conceivable that some user could connect with some other ad-hoc query tool and still be able to drop the table. The odds of a user knowing how to do that are probable pretty slim, but it is possible.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Sat Jan 30 1999 - 19:12:07 CST