Re: Oracle on a webserver

From: R.A. Khan <khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:06:26 +0100

Piotr Kolodziej wrote:

> Jennifer Philips wrote in message <01be23b9$dcb2cd60$f33770c2_at_vmayadas>...
> >Hi There
> >I'm thinking of using Oracle for my webserver.
> >The webserver will need to support upto 50,000 transactions per second.
> >Can anyone tell me what server OS would be best.
> >I'm trying to decide on Windows NT or UNIX
>

> However, if you think of NT, probably it should be Alpha. But in my
> opinion, 64-bit unix (DEC Unix on alpha, HP-UX 11.0 on pa-risc) would
> be the better choice.

It is a little bit strange, to run a 32bit Operating System on a 64 bit Machine, isn't it ? And if you would do, is Oracle/NT a 32bit or a 64 bit Product ? From my experiences on an 433Mhz Alpha the Applications i ran with FX!32 were as fast as on a 200Mhz Intel and the true NT Applications were running al right, but not faser than on a 300Mhz Pentium. I thougt this is due to the fact that NT on Alpha is 1) an OS which is ported to Alpha from Intel Platform (But native) 2) a 32 bit Operating system running on a 64 bit Processor/System

It seemed to me this was the same as to put a Porsche engine into a beetle and to espect it to be as fast as an original Porsche, not considering the chassis of a beetle. (The original one)

excuse my bad english, regards

--
Dipl. Ing. Ronald Ali-Khan
khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de