Re: Oracle on a webserver

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:49:10 +0100

Jennifer Philips wrote in message =
<01be23b9$dcb2cd60$f33770c2_at_vmayadas>...
>Hi There
>
>I'm thinking of using Oracle for my webserver.
>
>The webserver will need to support upto 50,000 transactions per second.
>
>Can anyone tell me what server OS would be best.
>
>I'm trying to decide on Windows NT or UNIX

Hi,
Do you mean 50 thousands concurent transactions or connections ? There's a bit difference. I'm affraid, that only very sophisticated hardware and software configuration may provide sufficient throughput for such number of transactions per second. Another question is about meaning of "Oracle for webserver". Only Oracle Application/Web Server or database server also? However, if you think of NT, probably it should be Alpha. But in my opinion, 64-bit unix (DEC Unix on alpha, HP-UX 11.0 on pa-risc) would be the better choice.

Regards,
Piotr Kolodziej
--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 05:49:10 CST