Re: Oracle on a webserver

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:04:51 +0100

R.A. Khan wrote in message =
<367118D2.9A730DA0_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>...
>It is a little bit strange, to run a 32bit Operating System on a 64 bit
>Machine, isn't it ? [...]
>It seemed to me this was the same as to put a Porsche engine into a
>beetle and to espect it to be as fast as an original Porsche, not
>considering the chassis of a beetle. (The original one)

Some people are excentric. They are able buy pink porshe to paint green flowers on it ;)

>And if you would do, is Oracle/NT a 32bit or a 64 bit Product ?

I don't know exactly. For example, on Digital Unix 64-bit oracle option is required to enable using 64-bit features.

>From my experiences on an 433Mhz Alpha the Applications i
>ran with FX!32 were as fast as on a 200Mhz Intel

It depends on type of computing and number of connections. With not too very large number of connections and well tuned sql = statements
CPU rarely become a bottleneck and adding then CPU power may not improve =

performance. In such case the primary concern is proper memory sizing = and
disc configuration.

Piotr Kolodziej Received on Mon Dec 14 1998 - 03:04:51 CST