Enterprise Manager Questions?

From: <development_at_agentsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 16:30:47 -0600

I have installed the Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition version 8.0.4.0.0 and have started learning the database administration.

I ultimately need a database on the server that is accessible by a number
of computers that are located on the network. I plan to connect to the database
using ODBC.

Now, I have a few questions.

  1. If I have one main database for my application, do I need a repository database? The manual states that a repository database must be located on a separate computer and I would prefer to simply keep everything that is database related on the same server.
  2. I created a new database called "EVAN". When I attempt to connec to this database I continually recieve ORA-12154... TNS could not resolve service name. I see that the database has been started. I get the same message with tye ORCL database.
  3. What is the quickest way to set up an ODBC connection to this database?

Thanks for any help,
Evan Received on Tue Nov 03 1998 - 16:30:47 CST