Re: Enterprise Manager Questions?

From: Dan Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:13:19 -0800

> 1) If I have one main database for my application, do I need a
> repository database?

Enterprise Manager will build it on start-up. You do not need to worry about this.

> 2) I created a new database called "EVAN". When I attempt to connec to
> this database I continually recieve ORA-12154... TNS could not resolve
> service name. I see that the database has been started. I get the same
> message with
> tye ORCL database.

Check the LISTENER.ORA file and make sure that you have an entry for each database.
Then bounce the listener.

> 3) What is the quickest way to set up an ODBC connection to this database?

Unless your front-end tool demands it (for example VB) I would avoid it. ODBC is insecure, slow, buggy, and . . . well ugly. If you must use ODBC try setting it up on your server rather than on the clients.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 13:13:19 CST