Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: P. J. Isserlis <jeremy_isserlis_at_non-hp-unitedkingdom-om1.om.hp.com>
Date: 1998/10/15

You misunderstand. Yes, the system is booted as on or the other; but both sets of libraries are there and the appropriate one is linked by cleverness, automatically. Clearly, 64 bit binaries can not be run under 32-bit HP-UX; but the other way around does work. One may COMPILE 64-bit on the 32-bit system. See the HP WEB site for more detail. The HP-UX 11 kit includes plenty of documentation on this too. Of course, which precision to run depends upon the application - need for large memory, disc space, i/o balance etc.. In general 32-bit HP-UX will be faster; but for, say, large simulations, very big databases the situation may change radically.

        Not clear what you mean by "upgrade process". I suppose that one would not want to switch randomly (all your 64-bit objects would be useless at 32-bit mode); but the directory structure etc. would stay the same as far as I know.