Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: Ian Spare <Ian_Spare_at_csi.com>
Date: 1998/10/07

On Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:15:42 +0100, "P. J. Isserlis" <jeremy_isserlis_at_non-hp-unitedkingdom-om1.om.hp.com> wrote:

>If you get HP-UX 11 for a PA8*** chip on which 64 bit is implemented it
>is not a case of installing one or the other: having installed, one may
>boot into 32 or 64 bit - simple config change in one place (that I can
>not remember).

That would surprise me, either you've installed 64-bit libraries and binaries or you haven't I would think. Presumably the kernel can't be linked with both 64 and 32-bit libraries. The documentation also specifically states that systems can be switched from 32 to 64 and vice-versa but that this is an upgrade type process. It must also be quite hard since any executable built for 64 wouldn't actually run and all executable must link to libraries of the same word length I think.

Ian Received on Wed Oct 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT