Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: Mark Johnson <mark.johnson_at_lsil.com>
Date: 1998/10/07

Ian Spare wrote:

> That would surprise me, either you've installed 64-bit libraries and
> binaries or you haven't I would think. Presumably the kernel can't be
> linked with both 64 and 32-bit libraries. The documentation also
> specifically states that systems can be switched from 32 to 64 and
> vice-versa but that this is an upgrade type process. It must also be
> quite hard since any executable built for 64 wouldn't actually run and
> all executable must link to libraries of the same word length I think.

You are correct...if you install the 64-bit OS, the libraries and all bundled utility applications are ELF-format executables. The linker will barf mightily if you try to link an a.out formatted library with ELF object files or libraries.

All that said, you can run a.out user mode executables on a 64 bit system with no problem...ioctl calls will even be translated correctly. However, if you are doing kernel libraries such as device drivers they have to match the OS. The error messages from the kernel relink aren't exactly unequivocal either.

'file' on a 64 bit .o returns "ELF-64 relocatable object file" where a 32-bit object file will return "{s800 | PA_RISC_1.1 | PA_RISC 2.0} relocatable object" depending on the code generation options used.

Related to this and a follow-on to somebody's questions about the HP ANSI compiler: For HP-UX 11.00/64 bit, the product number for the C/ANSI C Developer's Bundle is B3901BA. The revision I have is B.11.01.01 but there may be a later one for all I know. Received on Wed Oct 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT