Re: HP-UX 11.0 64Bit and Oracle 8.0.x

From: <nelsona_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/01

In article <36114E9C.5A30_at_cargill.com>,
  GD <garret_davis_at_cargill.com> wrote:
> TO ALL:
>
> I have been looking around for information on the subject line above, I
> have heard that Oracle 8 runs a little faster on the 64bit OS. Now for a
> few questions.
>
> 1. Can anyone tell me if that's true?
>
> 2. Is there really a speed up between 10.20 and the 11.0 64bit?
>
> 3. Has anyone done any testing?
>
> 4. Is there really a good enough reason to go to Oracle 8 and 11.0?
>
> Any info/site info would be helpful.
>
> I have heard the only reason to go to 11.0 is if you are going to have
> more than 4 gig of memory, that way you could address it.
>
> The system I would like to run it on is a D380/2 with 1 gig of memory.
>
> TIA
>
> Garret

We have just wrapped-up testing of Oracle 8.05 64 bit under HP-UX 11.0. The testing included:

Creation/population of the database (approx. 70GB) SQLLOAD/index/analyze the "datamart" section of the database. Execution of all server-side batch jobs which include embedded  PRO*C executables as well as SQL*PLUS scripts. Execution of all client-side executables (Powerbuilder 5 stuff) SyncSort of large flatfiles prior to loading into the database.

These tests where executed on an HP K470 dual-cpu server with 1 GB of memory. Disks where "older" HP Nike arrays under RAID-5 and standard fast/wide SCSI.

For sake of comparision, our production environment is currently as follows:

HP T600 12-way server with 3.7 GB memory. Mirrored EMC Symmetrix 3700 disk arrays using fiber channel. HP-UX 10.20.
Oracle 7.3.4.1

Factoring in the differences in the hardware, our results have shown a performance gain of between 2X to 3X!! This is not only for Oracle, but for SyncSort as well.

We also installed Oracle 7.3.4.1 32 bit in order to test our job scheduling system, Autosys. Even though both were running in 32 bit mode, similar results were shown.

All custom PRO C executables ran fine as is under 32 bit mode. We did have some problems recompiling for 64 bit. I can't be more specific than that as the time we had on the box ran out.

We had problems with the Powerbuilder front end that are still unresolved. We feel that perhaps using new Powerbuilder drivers for Oracle 8.x would resolve those issues. Unfortunately, Sybase won't be releasing the new drivers until December of 1998!!! (better late than never, eh Sybase?)

64 bit Oracle is definately a bigger memory hog. The backend processes are approx 6 times larger than what we see in our production environment.

Generally speaking, we were pleased with what we saw. Granted, there are some issues to resolve, but they are typical everytime we upgrade Oracle.

Based on these results, we are now planning to migrate this system to UX 11.0 and Oracle 8.x on a HP V-class server sometime early next year.