Re: Personal Oracle8

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 16:35:17 GMT

Thanks to Madhu, the following tip worked for me - with slight modification, since I am using PO8 and Dev2k on Win95. Before that, I had EXACTLY the same problem as William Finn had, on Win95 platform.

Rx

Madhu Cherukuri (madhuc_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: You need to configure SQL*Net
: using NetEasy Configuration
: There are two versions for this
: One is NET8 version which comes
: with PO8 and the other is Net Easy Config
: which comes with Des2K/Dev2K
: You can use either of one but the
: Net easy config is really simple

: This will create a tnsnames.ora
: file under $ORACLE_HOME\NETWORK\ADMIN directory

: (for NET8 it is under $ORACLE_HOME\NET80\ADMIN)

: You have to maintain same tnsnames.ora file under both directories
: (need to copy the created one with Net Easy Config to NET80\ADMIN directory

: Try to create a database alias
: something like ORCL and give
: the ip address 127.0.0.1 as
: the host name.

: Make sure you have started the Listener80 service
: by opening Control panel and Services

: Once these are accomplished, you could able to
: connect to the PO8 database using the database alias
: you have created in the tnsnames.ora file (ORCL)

: HTH

: Madhu Cherukuri

: William R. Finn wrote in message <3605AEC0.6272_at_infoave.net>...
: >Help!
: >I have installed Personal Oracle 8 on my NT4 standalone machine. The
: >install was sucessful. I can use Oracle Navigator to get to the sample
: >tables.
: >Next I installed Developer2000/Designer2000 v2 but am having major
: >problems. When I try to start Designer2000 using installed
: >username:scott, password:tiger, no connect string I get an error
: >message, ORA-03121: no interface driver connected-function not
: >performed. When I use ORCL for the connect string I get an error
: >message, ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name.
: >The files tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora are located in the
: >folder orant\network\admin.
: >I need to solve this problem so that I can get the Designer2000 modules
: >such as E-R Diagrammer.
: >
: >I'm a newbie to Oracle so I sure could use some help!
: >
: >William R. Finn
: >wrfinn_at_mailcity.com