Re: Objects not enabled with Pers. Oracle 8.04?

From: Bob Withers <bwit_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:28:39 -0500

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <36007796.365880078_at_news1.abac.com>, tomscott_at_nospam.abac.com says...
> I am using Personal Oracle 8.04. When I try to create a simple type, I
> get ORA-00439 - feature not enabled - objects.
>
> I have talked to my sales rep at Oracle, and he swears that PO 8
> *does* support object extensions. Then I talked to the first tech
> support person, and she said only Oracle Enterprise edition included
> object support. Later on, I talked with a second tech support person
> at Oracle, and she didn't know.
>
> Does anyone know what the real deal is?

It's my understanding that Oracle8 Enterprise is the only version to support objects. IMHO this was a poor decision on the part of Oracle. In my case I use Enterprise edition for production data bases but I do a lot of application development on a PC using PO8 prior to moving the code to a large Unix server. My choices now seem to be to abandon development (and potential deployment) under PO8 or avoid the use of Oracle8 objects. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Regards,
Bob

--

Bob Withers                            Do or do not, there is no try
bwit_at_pobox.com                                               Yoda