Re: Oracle Server NT vs. Unix

From: Michael L. Mason <mmason1_at_osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:07:50 GMT

akrighjb_at_ci.richmond.va.us wrote:

> I'm going through the same quandry. Except I have to convince other people to
> goto unix.
>
> I've worked on Oracle production systems under unix. I'm supporting a
> Development effort under NT.
>
> I'd hesitate putting a 24x7 Rdbms on NT. It's not as stable as unix
> and not as Robust (I love that word) as unix. Unix OS comes with so many
> utilities and our Hp-UX boxes have'nt been rebooted in months. With NT any
> change to the system or anomaly-> REBOOT! and it goes away. Also, if you
> upgrade Oracle products (i.e. SQL*NET) you have a chance of messing up your
> DLLs and what not.
>
> Anyway without getting too negative about NT, which does have it's place
> (where I have no idea!) unix is more mature and stable. IMHO
We run Oracle 7.3.3 on NT 4.0 Server and haven't rebooted for 4 months. I agree that Unix is more stable, but for what we do here, NT works just fine. I'm sure that Unix would deliver better performance but Unix servers sometimes require more skilled System Admins than NT. With the increased complexity of Unix comes more complex problems. There's my .02. Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 12:07:50 CDT