Re: Oracle Server NT vs. Unix

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:01:16 GMT

In article <35FFF066.21E0_at_osf1.gmu.edu>,   mmason1_at_osf1.gmu.edu wrote:
> akrighjb_at_ci.richmond.va.us wrote:
> >
> > I'm going through the same quandry. Except I have to convince other people
> > goto unix.
> >
> > I've worked on Oracle production systems under unix. I'm supporting a
> > Development effort under NT.
> >
> > I'd hesitate putting a 24x7 Rdbms on NT. It's not as stable as unix
> > and not as Robust (I love that word) as unix. Unix OS comes with so many
> > utilities and our Hp-UX boxes have'nt been rebooted in months. With NT any
> > change to the system or anomaly-> REBOOT! and it goes away. Also, if you
> > upgrade Oracle products (i.e. SQL*NET) you have a chance of messing up your
> > DLLs and what not.
> >
> > Anyway without getting too negative about NT, which does have it's place
> > (where I have no idea!) unix is more mature and stable. IMHO
> We run Oracle 7.3.3 on NT 4.0 Server and haven't rebooted for 4 months.
> I agree that Unix is more stable, but for what we do here, NT works just
> fine. I'm sure that Unix would deliver better performance but Unix
> servers sometimes require more skilled System Admins than NT. With the
> increased complexity of Unix comes more complex problems. There's my
> .02.

I think you've hit a couple of the points right on the head. In my opinion, I think NT gets a bad rap because:

  1. People run GUI apps right on the server! You hardly do this in UNIX. IF you set up an NT server with a debuged server program (for the client) or use it as a DB server and leave it the hell alone, you'll more than likely have no more problems than a typical UNIX platform.
  2. NT is decievingly simple. When a company gets an expensive UNIX box, they hire a dedicated person (or staff) to setup, monitor and tune the box. In a typical NT environ, a system admin can often times be an after-thought. Well guess what? It's gonna have problems.

So basically, I don't think that UNIX is more powerful against a 24x7 environ than NT, Its just the way each system is implemented is different and therefore the results are different!

-Frank