Re: Oracle Server NT vs. Unix

From: <akrighjb_at_ci.richmond.va.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:48:13 GMT

I'm going through the same quandry. Except I have to convince other people to goto unix.

I've worked on Oracle production systems under unix. I'm supporting a Development effort under NT.

I'd hesitate putting a 24x7 Rdbms on NT. It's not as stable as unix and not as Robust (I love that word) as unix. Unix OS comes with so many utilities and our Hp-UX boxes have'nt been rebooted in months. With NT any change to the system or anomaly-> REBOOT! and it goes away. Also, if you upgrade Oracle products (i.e. SQL*NET) you have a chance of messing up your DLLs and what not.

Anyway without getting too negative about NT, which does have it's place (where I have no idea!) unix is more mature and stable. IMHO

John