Re: Checking Oracle up/down on NT - how?

From: Michael L. Mason <mmason1_at_osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:15:53 GMT

Brian McCabe wrote:

> I have a requirement to check, in a batch file, whether an Oracle Instance
> is up or down on NT.
>
> An added complication (?) is that we are running FailSafe.
>
> In UNIX this would be simple (check existance or sgadef file or process
> existance in ps -ef) - how do I do it in a batch file on NT????
>
> Please also email any responses to me at brian_at_mitc.demon.co.uk
>
> Thanks in advance..
>
> Brian McCabe

This _may_ work with a little adjustments:

You can run server manager 2.3.3 and feed it a SQL script as a command line arg like this:

c:\orant\bin\svrmgr23.exe_at_c:\orant\scripts\isoracleup.sql

In the .sql file, set the instance, connect as internal. When you connect, it will read:
connected (if the DB is up)
or---connected to an idle instance (if your DB is down)

-or-

you could use a utility that comes in the Resource Kit that is essentially a command line process viewer ( I forgot the name ) Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 12:15:53 CDT