Re: nls_date_format

From: Mary Travis <Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:21:17 GMT

DBMS online mag had a good article by Ben Lis last January http://www.dbmsmag.com/9801d20.html
'Oracle Year 2000 Pitfalls'. In it he explains that to change the default format on NT you have to update the registry.

"The steps involved in doing this are documented in the Oracle Corporate Support Problem Repositioy Soln# 2065837.7. Essentially, you must add a new key under named nls_data_format under hkey_local_machine,software,oracle. This key should have a string value of DD-MON-YYYY or any valid date mask."

Hope this helps,
Mary

tmurphy_at_pinnsoft.com wrote:

>When I set my unix init.ora to:
> nls_date_format = "DD MON RRRR"
>then restart the instance, the svrmgr "show parameters nls"
>shows the new format.
>also, when I start SQLplus and do a "select * from v$nls_parameters",
>my new format is active in my session and all is well.

>When I do the same on NT, the "show parameters nls" shows
>the new format, but the sessions end up with the standard "DD-MON-YY"
>format. If I explictly "alter session set nls_date_format = 'DD MON RRRR'",
>then that session is OK, but the instance wide default is
>still "DD-MON-YY".

>Any clues on why Oracle acts differently on NT than Unix?

>Thanks!

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Mary Travis
EDS
email: Mary.B.Travis_at_bridge.bellsouth.com Received on Fri Jun 26 1998 - 18:21:17 CDT