Re: nls_date_format

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:09:04 GMT

A copy of this was sent to tmurphy_at_pinnsoft.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:03:51 GMT, you wrote:

>When I set my unix init.ora to:
> nls_date_format = "DD MON RRRR"
>then restart the instance, the svrmgr "show parameters nls"
>shows the new format.
>also, when I start SQLplus and do a "select * from v$nls_parameters",
>my new format is active in my session and all is well.
>
>When I do the same on NT, the "show parameters nls" shows
>the new format, but the sessions end up with the standard "DD-MON-YY"
>format. If I explictly "alter session set nls_date_format = 'DD MON RRRR'",
>then that session is OK, but the instance wide default is
>still "DD-MON-YY".
>
>Any clues on why Oracle acts differently on NT than Unix?

Its not just NT. It is any client that has specified some of the NLS_* parameters in the environment (or registry on Windows).

The default client install on NT sets the NLS_LANG variable in the registry. If you specify one of the NLS_* params, it assumes you are going to set them all (or let them default). Since NLS_LANG is set in the registry on the client, NLS_DATE is defaulting the default format mask for that NLS_LANG.

You will see this in a UNIX environment if you set the NLS_LANG environment variable as well.

>Thanks!

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jun 26 1998 - 16:09:04 CDT