Re: Redo logs only useful if archiving on

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:09:48 -0500

No, you can use the redo log files themselves in recovery IF they have not been overwritten since the cold backup.

You can do this by using more redo log files, bigger redo log files, or more bigger redo log files. With no guarantees!

Archive log mode guarantees that no redo log file will be overwritten until it has first been copied (archived).

Because Oracle's DBWR writes according to block LRU stats and not FIFO, your transaction may not be written to disk until a checkpoint. It WILL be written to the redo log file before you receive a return from a commit. We mirror the redo log files to be sure we do not have a single point of failure. A redo log switch always triggers a checkpoint and the archiving of the redo log file. Now our two copies of the data are the database and the archived redo log file.