Redo logs only useful if archiving on

From: Frank Calfo <TFIAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:05:36 -0700

Seems to me that the redo logs can only help you recover data up to the point of failure if the database is in archive log mode. Is that true?

Also we have carefully planned our database to place the redo logs on separate drives in case of media failure. But again, unless we're running in archive log mode, this step doesn't really seem to buy us much in terms of data protection. True ?

(I assume we would still want to consider which drives the redo logs are on even without archiving for performance reasons.)

For those of you running in archive log mode, is it working well or is it so cumbersome that its not worth the trouble? Would cold-backups be sufficient? Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 23:05:36 CDT