Re: Oracle Shutdown Fails

From: <hstack_at_att.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:57:20 -0400

Jean Wimmerlin wrote in message <6mae78$lb2$1_at_ubnnews.unisource.ch>...
>When we give "SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE", Oracle cancels all active transactions,
>rollback and shutdown the database instance. But, sometime (not all the
>time) it hangs and logs the following in the alert file : "Shutdown :
>waiting for logins to complete". I have a backup script that shutdowns the
>instance with immediate option:
>ORADIM73 -SHUTDOWN -SID DMS -USRPWD ****** -SHUTTYPE SRVC, INST - SHUTMODE
>i -PFILE D:\ORANT\DATABASE\DMS\INITDMS.ORA
>
>Does anybody have a clue what is wrong with doing so ?
>
>We are using Oracle Server 7.3.3.0.0 on Windows NT 4.0
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jean Wimmerlin

Jean,

I wrote the following to do the same on ours and we have the same system. Nt 4.0 server Oracle 7.3.3. The problem could be with the NT services running so try to shutdown these first. See my example. I back up to another disk on the same machine then after its done write those files to tape. It takes less time and my db is not down as long.

Hope it helps.
Help me sometime...we are all in oracle hell hstack_at_att.com

rem the following runs a script(shutdown.sql) to shutdown oracle E:\orant\bin\svrmgr23 @E:\orant\admin\shutdown.sql echo just finished shutdown.sql

net stop OracleServiceORCL /y
net stop OracleTNSListener /y
echo oracle shut down
del e:\orant\admin\backorcl.log

echo Backup oracle, E: to F: > E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log echo Time Started >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log date /t >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log
time /t >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log

copy e:\orant\database\. f:\orant\backup 1>> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log

echo Time Completed >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log date /t >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log
time /t >> E:\orant\admin\backorcl.log

rem=================================================================
rem the following runs a script(startup.sql) to start oracle

net start OracleServiceORCL
E:\orant\bin\svrmgr23 @E:\orant\admin\startup.sql net start OracleStartORCL
net start OracleTNSListener

Shutdown.sql is as follows

connect internal
shutdown immediate
exit;

Startup.sql is as follows:

connect internal
startup pfile=e:\orant\database\initorcl.ora exit; Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 14:57:20 CDT