Oracle Shutdown Fails

From: Jean Wimmerlin <wimmerlin.jean_at_pmintl.ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:08:36 +0200

When we give "SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE", Oracle cancels all active transactions, rollback and shutdown the database instance. But, sometime (not all the time) it hangs and logs the following in the alert file : "Shutdown : waiting for logins to complete". I have a backup script that shutdowns the instance with immediate option:
ORADIM73 -SHUTDOWN -SID DMS -USRPWD ****** -SHUTTYPE SRVC, INST - SHUTMODE i -PFILE D:\ORANT\DATABASE\DMS\INITDMS.ORA

Does anybody have a clue what is wrong with doing so ?

We are using Oracle Server 7.3.3.0.0 on Windows NT 4.0

Thanks in advance,

Jean Wimmerlin Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 02:08:36 CDT