Re: ROLLBACK Segment Overflow

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/04/03

In article <6g04h1$efu_at_news.axis.de>,
Daniel Gessnitzer <gessnitzer_at_ipks.de> wrote:
>Hi
>
>we are using PO7 (NT4) in an industrial data collection environment. we are
>collecting many rows of data per second hold them on our database and remove
>them after certain days via a delete statement. we are new to this database,
>in other projects we have experience with MS-SQL Server.
>On some Tables the automatic deletion on data failed with an ROLLBACK
>Segment overflow error.
>
>Is there way to do a deletion of a big chunk of data with a no log option?
>Or is there a better way to deleted many rows of data with on statement?

If the stuff deleted is much larger than the stuff saved, you might try selecting the stuff to be saved into a newly truncated table, drop the original table and rename the new one. If deleting everything, just truncate.

Note that if you do a lot of deletion, some things still have to look at the deleted areas. This is reset by truncation.

>Because it is dificult to say how many data we get at one day it is possible
>to do a deletion which meets some 100Mb of data at once. The only solution
>we have is to split the delete transaction into some smaller, but we think
>that this strategie will increase the amount of time needed for this
>operation and this will not be acceptable for our customer.
>Does anyone know a common solution for this kind of problems.

Small is good.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com