Re: ROLLBACK Segment Overflow

From: S Chavali <nospam_at_iname.com>
Date: 1998/04/02

Daniel Gessnitzer wrote:

> Hi
>
> we are using PO7 (NT4) in an industrial data collection environment. we are
> collecting many rows of data per second hold them on our database and remove
> them after certain days via a delete statement. we are new to this database,
> in other projects we have experience with MS-SQL Server.
> On some Tables the automatic deletion on data failed with an ROLLBACK
> Segment overflow error.
>
> Is there way to do a deletion of a big chunk of data with a no log option?
> Or is there a better way to deleted many rows of data with on statement?
>
> Because it is dificult to say how many data we get at one day it is possible
> to do a deletion which meets some 100Mb of data at once. The only solution
> we have is to split the delete transaction into some smaller, but we think
> that this strategie will increase the amount of time needed for this
> operation and this will not be acceptable for our customer.
> Does anyone know a common solution for this kind of problems.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Daniel Gessnitzer
> gessnitzer_at_ipks.de

Try these and see it if helps -

1. Increase the size of your rollback segments
2. Add more rollback segments
3. Do commits more often in your delete code
4. Run the deletes during off-peak hours
These will reduce, if not eliminate, your rollback segment problems
--

hope this helps !
Srini

(to reply, change "nospam" to "chavali" in my email address.  :-)  )