Re: Should I go 4 Oracle 8

From: Patrick Callahan <patrick.callahan_at_mail.wdn.com>
Date: 1998/01/15

Nabil Courdy wrote:

> I have a project which is getting to be in its late
> development state. It is running Oracle 7.3 (latest)
> on Windows NT 4.0. I am contemplating going to 8
> before we go into production. Is this a good idea as
> far as the robustness and stability of the newer 8
> release.
>
> Nabil Courdy
> moab_at_emirates.net.ae
>
> --

Nabil,

I'll cast in my 2 cents. All new releases or version will fix old bugs and include new ones and that's the problem. I've never had an upgrade not break some piece of code. On our current project we knew that we were going to Oracle 7.3.x on an HP but during development we had 7.2. on a Sequent. So our code was written and tested against Oracle 7.2 on the Sequent. When we got our new HP box with 7.3 we had to retest our code and we did find some bugs. If that happens you'll have three choices; rollback, wait for patches, or code around the bugs. Are there any Oracle 8 features that you need today?

Patrick Callahan
Patrick.Callahan_at_mail.wdn.com Received on Thu Jan 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CST