Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Kristian Koehntopp <kris_at_koehntopp.de>
Date: 1997/12/29

sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk (Stephen Harris) writes:
>But since we are
>talking well hundreds of thousands of UK pounds for such a spec, I really must
>assume a comment such as yours is merely a troll, not meant for logical
>discussion.

I know very well that an Enterprise Ultra (be it the 3000 or the 10000) is nowhere near any PC server - not in features and not in price. That is just the point I wanted to make. Customers that absolutely need reliability, configurability, space to grow or just raw performance won't go with any PC based server just for the features I listed.

>The U10000 machine is getting close to "big iron" systems - the closest of
>any Unix machines around at present.

Close enough for many banking installations to seriously consider to throw out their IBM hosts and install Sun hardware.

Kristian

--
          Kristian Koehntopp, http://www.koehntopp.de