Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/30

Kristian Koehntopp (kris_at_koehntopp.de) wrote:

: I know very well that an Enterprise Ultra (be it the 3000 or the
: 10000) is nowhere near any PC server - not in features and not
: in price. That is just the point I wanted to make. Customers
: that absolutely need reliability, configurability, space to grow
: or just raw performance won't go with any PC based server just
: for the features I listed.

There is no argument here. It was made very early on in this debate. But we are not comparing a 10,000 pound PC to a 500,000 pound server. Regardless of the OS (Linux, NT, HPUX, Solaris) you would not consider a 10,000 piece of hardware in an environment where you need a 500,000 pound piece of hardware.

Argue like to like. Argue a Linux machine against a SCO Openserver machine against an NT server against Sun Ultra 2 against... In all the other environments I just mentioned, Oracle is supported and Linux is a comparable platform.

Why not consider a Linux platform in an environment where SCO or NT would be a valid platform? Why not have a Linux port of Oracle?

--
                            Stephen Harris
             sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/

      The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion.  But what is what?
  * Meeeeow ! Call  Spud the Cat on > 01268 515441 < for free Usenet access *