Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu_at_sid.trust.ee>
Date: 1997/12/19

Bjorn Borud wrote:

> ["S V" <sv1_at_mindspring.com>]
>
> keep in mind that those who would want to run Oracle on Linux usually
> have pretty modest database needs, thus much of what you're asking for
> isn't really an issue at all. if you need a large SMP system or
> terabytes of tablespaces you would probably buy something else than a
> PC -- don't you agree?

But you could still use linux ;)

> || 3. Linux has no support for raw devices - hence NO even remote possibility
> | to run Oracle Parallel Server.
>
> I have yet to desire raw devices for using Oracle and I certainly have
> never needed to run Oracle Parallel server. if I would ever need to
> run it I would certainly not do it on a PC.

What are the cooked devices then located on?

I think that SV simply does not know what a raw device is.

> | 5. Linux OS block size is what? 512 bytes? It would make even MS
> | Access laugh and puke steam.
>
> uh, what block size would that be? if you're talking about the file
> system one can only guess whatever gave you that idea. on my system
> the block size on a ext2 filesystem can be between 1024 and 4096.
>
> would you care to explain what block size you are referring to and
> what block sizes other systems where Oracle is available use?

I think he is referring to sector size, which is 512 for most unixen

> | ==> I don't see much (or rather _any) prospects for seeing Oracle on
> | Linux.
>
> perhaps it's time for you to take a closer look at Linux as well as
> other systems that Oracle has been ported to before you jump to any
> conclusions about the suitability of Linux as a platform for running
> Oracle. Oracle has been ported to operating systems that are _far_
> less advanced than Linux and that lack almost everything that you
> mentioned in your post. that hasn't stopped Oracle from porting to
> them so far, so you will have to think of something better.

It is ported even to a non-os, the Novell Netware server.

Hannu Received on Fri Dec 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST