Explain Plan with Toad - no cost displayed for statements

From: PerMa <pmlovold_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I have a lot of heavy queries I need to analyze, and I was hoping to be able to use Toads "Explain Plan" funtionality for doing this.

So far I have installed the explain plan tables, and when I run queries for Explain plan, I get some information, but not the essential information such as cost, bytes, cpu_cost, io_cost etc

Why can't I see this information?
I have a couple of theories:

1)
Could there be some net8 / protocol problems between Toad and the database?
We have the following system:
Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
Toad Xpert v 9.7.2.5 w SQL optimizer
Oracle Net8 client 8.1.700

When I start Toad, it tells me that "Oracle client version is significantly older than server. Client should be same version or newer".

..but Toad in general works, so this is just a hunch! I've tried to figure out how to upgrade net8, but not found it on Oracles pages so far.

2)
Could there be some rights problem when activating Explain Plan? I have installed the explain plan tables with the admin user we have access to. I beleive this user has maximum priveliges, but perhaps there could be a way to verify this?

3)
Perhaps Toad needs to enable cost logging some way?

Hope someone could help me with this!

Br,
PerMa Received on Fri May 15 2009 - 09:32:30 CDT

Original text of this message