Re: Complex queries tutorial wanted

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 07:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

On May 9, 9:14 am, General Fear <richma..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I am using 10g.
>
> My goal is to replace PL/SQL cursor FOR LOOPs with a single SQL when
> possible. In order to do that, I need to use inline views, case
> statements, decode etc . . . I have an understanding if tools needed
> to create the advanced queries, like inline views. I was more
> interested in "the mind set" of creating complex queries. In other
> words, how to put it together. I found one web pages that was helpful.
> I was interested in more info along this line.
>
> So with that in mind, can you all give me links to tutorials on
> writing complex SQL queries?
>
> Thanking you in advance.

A link to the web page you found helpful would have been nice.

I have never ran across anything that really seems to be designed to try to explain how to think in SQL in order to solve problems though the late Lex de Haan did have a book on Oracle SQL using 10g published by Apress that was a good introduction to Oracle SQL features.

Joe Celko has a book title something like SQL for Smarties that might be along this line however the book may be SQL Server orientated and was written a long time ago so newer features like inline views are probably absent.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri May 09 2008 - 09:06:06 CDT

Original text of this message