Re: changing the isolation level

From: AlterEgo <alterego55_at_dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:51:41 -0800

Ed,

Re: top/bottom posting.

Most of the time when I am accessing a newsgroup thread, I have already followed the thread when I open it and don't need to read the prior posts. My messages are read through a graphical UI and by default I am at the top of the thread. It takes me extra keystrokes to get to the response in a bottom post, so I prefer top posting.

If one uses a text based reader, then the thread will scroll all the way to the bottom and the response will be in view when the message is opened in a bottom post. I imagine those using text based readers prefer having the bottom post.

I am sorry it offends you, but I am not responsible for your distaste for top-posting. I opt for less keystrokes, and have no problem reading up or down if necessary. Follow your credo, don't respond.

Re: dirty reads.

Trigger - that is an addtional read/write for every transaction, and it causes a hotspot at 2,500 transaction/sec. on our configuration.

Any transaction failures are serialized locally on the web server and handled by another compensatory process, they are not counted and persisted in the database.

I also believe in dirty reads for most ad-hoc reporting from OLTP databases. Book of record and SOX compliant reports come from an audited data mart.