Re: Timestamp of Last update on a TABLE.

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:13:27 +0000

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:27:11 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> As far as the database is concerned, updates occur based on system
>> change numbers, which aren't necessarily tightly correllated to the
>> time.
>
>I'm not sure this is true.
>
>If tables are created with ROWDEPENDENCIES then I believe they are.

 There's a demo on René Nyffenegger's site:

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/sql/ora_rowscn.html

 Whilst ROWDEPENDENCIES gets you an SCN per row, 3 seconds seems to be the closest you can get for the time of that SCN - whether that's tightly correlated enough is down to your particular definition.

 For an extra couple of bytes the OP can put a DATE or a TIMESTAMP column in and do it in a more traditional way, but it depends what he's really after.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool