Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: <timasmith_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2006 11:12:45 -0700

Michael Heiming wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc timasmith_at_hotmail.com:
> > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> [..]
>
> >> [please don't top post]
>
> > [ please dont bottom post]
>
> See RFC1855 howto reply properly.

You want me to read an RFC to learn how to reply...sorry, wrong generation to waste my time.

> [..]

> >> You obviously know nothing about newsreaders.
>
> Indeed:

> >> Does Google Groups have killfiles?
>
> >> Does Google Groups refrain from showing you articles you have
> >> already read?
>
> > lol I top post because that is the default for Google groups...
>
> That doesn't make it an inch more the correct behavior.
>
> > I used a newsreader in the 90s, used to chew up space, add an extra
> > window, had to click on all these different groups to find stuff...
> > aweful
>
> You don't use a newsreader to search articles, though you can
> easily filter on thread with your own contributes and what ever
> you like. Can you do this with google? My nntp reader marks
> automatically threads with my own posts. No need to click on
> anything at all, it doesn't have a GUI interface. ;-)
>
> > I hate to break it to you but using a newsreader is old fashioned.
>
> LOL, you don't use a cordless screwdriver to get a nail into the
> wall. But use the right tool for the environment. Just as nntp
> reader were designed to work with nntp. You must be a windoze
> user?
>
> > Let me ask you this.
>
> > Can you type these two workds into your *newsreader*:
>
> Can your interface to usenet do the following?
>
> - Strip ">" from quoted empty lines with a single key stroke, it
> occurred to me lately that many nntp reader quote those?

My eyes automatically filter them out

> - Reformat longish lines with a single keystroke?

Ugh, it wraps

> - Use a real editor but not some sucking http form?

You should post text, dont post fancy formats from your personal editor

> - Allow for adjustable spell checking?

I dont care if I mispell a word on Usenet

> - Postpone articles on demand?

I have no idea why I would do that. Oh thats because I wouldnt.

> - Allow arbitrary things like piping some article to some
> script/command/etc?

You are joking right? Do you have a program on the other end of the SSH pipe that writes an article for you?

> [..]
>
> > and can you click on the suggested link and in 0.05 seconds get the 46
> > articles across the entire usenet that reference java server faces
> > command link component?
>
> That's what a search engine is about, *not* some nntp client!

Exactly! Now you are talking my language - please join me in pressuring Google to put the Groups link back on the main Google page...

> Google does a good job for searching purposes, but obviously is
> just a makeshift to write to usenet.
>
> There are for sure quite a few reasons to use it, but to praise
> it as superior to any serious nntp client is just a joke. ;-)

You're missing the point - I dont need an nntp client - I have Google groups - its like Java - it runs everywhere.