Re: Possible 9i Incompatibility with latest MS Windows Patches

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2006 07:35:04 -0700

Jens Lenge schreef:

> After uninstalling all of my latest system additions (JRE 1.5.0_08, JDK
> 1.5.0_08, MS patches for Office, MS patches for WinXP), 9i still did
> not run. So I went on uninstalling 9i and re-installing it from
> scratch. It ran fine again afterwards.
>
> Then I re-installed JRE, JDK, and the MS Office patches, and checked 9i
> after each single install. As it still runs fine, I guess the August
> patches for WinXP interfere with 9i.

Might be path/class_path problem - oracle comes with their own version of Java (1.3.2 for 9i?!?), and Java -unfortunately- still is not always backward compliant. Do not know if that is the case with 1.3.2/1.4 (think your version uses 1.3.2) versus 1.5, but is might be.

> > Time to start debugging, and load these by hand...
> > open CLI, and type lsnrctl start see what happens
>
> Currently it just shows hat the listener is still running.
> I need to check again with the WinXP patches installed, but that may
> take some time as I would like to upgrade my HD and save a working
> system image first.
>
> > Unless you work with OEM, you don't need the agent
> > (but errors should be on the windows log).
>
> The agent did not start without leaving any message in the logs. The
> listener did start, but stopped immediately afterwards and left a log
> message (which does not say more than the listener stopped).

Windows log or agent log? I was referring to the windows logs.

> > And of course, 9i was not certified against your current,
> > patched version of XP - why don't you start
> > upgrading oracle as well?!? 10g, release 2 is a good
> > candidate.
>
> I would love to. I am currently trying to convince the company to
> upgrade Oracle; but they fear that existing SQL scripts and
> applications that interact with 9i databases via JDBC might no longer
> work on 10g. I have no experience how compatible 10g is concerning
> existing JDBC based applications and SQL statements that work with 9i.

Do you mean this is some kind of production stuff?!? Odd decision to run that on a client - 2003 Server would be more appropiate if you/your company insists on running on Windows