Re: Possible 9i Incompatibility with latest MS Windows Patches

From: Jens Lenge <spampot_at_gmx.net>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 07:05:32 -0700

After uninstalling all of my latest system additions (JRE 1.5.0_08, JDK 1.5.0_08, MS patches for Office, MS patches for WinXP), 9i still did not run. So I went on uninstalling 9i and re-installing it from scratch. It ran fine again afterwards.

Then I re-installed JRE, JDK, and the MS Office patches, and checked 9i after each single install. As it still runs fine, I guess the August patches for WinXP interfere with 9i.

> Time to start debugging, and load these by hand...
> open CLI, and type lsnrctl start see what happens

Currently it just shows hat the listener is still running. I need to check again with the WinXP patches installed, but that may take some time as I would like to upgrade my HD and save a working system image first.

> Unless you work with OEM, you don't need the agent
> (but errors should be on the windows log).

The agent did not start without leaving any message in the logs. The listener did start, but stopped immediately afterwards and left a log message (which does not say more than the listener stopped).

> And of course, 9i was not certified against your current,
> patched version of XP - why don't you start
> upgrading oracle as well?!? 10g, release 2 is a good
> candidate.

I would love to. I am currently trying to convince the company to upgrade Oracle; but they fear that existing SQL scripts and applications that interact with 9i databases via JDBC might no longer work on 10g. I have no experience how compatible 10g is concerning existing JDBC based applications and SQL statements that work with 9i.

(Besides - did anyone check if 10g does run with the August WinXP patches yet?)

Jens Received on Wed Aug 16 2006 - 09:05:32 CDT