Re: Possible 9i Incompatibility with latest MS Windows Patches

From: Jens Lenge <spampot_at_gmx.net>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 00:22:43 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Might be path/class_path problem - oracle comes with their own
> version of Java (1.3.2 for 9i?!?), and Java -unfortunately- still
> is not always backward compliant. Do not know if that
> is the case with 1.3.2/1.4 (think your version uses 1.3.2)
> versus 1.5, but is might be.

Yes, Oracle 9i comes with its own JREs (old 1.3.x and 1.4.2, IIRC). However, these don't seem to conflict with an installed JRE/JDK 1.5 because it ran fine with JRE/JDK 1.5.0_07 installed on the same system, and now runs fine with JRE/JDK 1.5.0_08 installed on the same system. Oracle still uses its own old versions with no conflicts.

The only thing I have not installed again since I re-installed 9i is the latest (August 2006) Windows patches, so I believe these are the ones that cause the problems before. But I still need to verify that when I find the time.

> Windows log or agent log? I was referring to the windows logs.

Windows log. (The logs that you access in the Windows "Computer Managament" window.)

> > I would love to. I am currently trying to convince the company to
> > upgrade Oracle; but they fear that existing SQL scripts and
> > applications that interact with 9i databases via JDBC might no longer
> > work on 10g. I have no experience how compatible 10g is concerning
> > existing JDBC based applications and SQL statements that work with 9i.
>
> Do you mean this is some kind of production stuff?!? Odd decision to
> run that on a client - 2003 Server would be more appropiate if you/your
> company insists on running on Windows

Not really "production". I am developing an application that interacts with an Oracle database, and I use my own local 9i installation for testing. As the app is required to run on WinXP, I have XP on the development PC. And my local Oracle is on the same XP machine.

AFAIK the company runs numerous databases on numerous OSes, with Oracle versions ranging from 8 to 9i. However, I still think upgrading to 10g is a good idea, provided that

  1. it is backwards compatible with 9i to a good degree (regarding SQL scripts and JDBC access), and
  2. that it does runs on WinXP with the latest August patches.

Some people have told me that a) is true, but I still have not found any information on b).

Jens Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 02:22:43 CDT