Re: Oracle Designer: Connect string

From: Robbert van der Hoorn <removetheXinR.Xvanderhoorn_at_osait.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:55:48 +0200

"Jens Lenge" <Spampot_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:e9h2me$sft$03$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> <akkha1234_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How do you connect to the
> > database via your other tools?
>
> With Oracle SQL Developer, I just enter the host IP, port number, and SID
> (and username/password, of course). It can then connect successfully.
>
> But I guess SQL Developer does not refer to tnsnames.ora, while Designer
> probably does.
>
> > Then stick the ABC or the database field as the connect string. Then
> > you are good.
> > If you get an error, this means your tnsnames.ora is not correct. This
> > would be a different issue.
>
> I suspect you are right and my tnsnames.ora is not properly configured. I
> was only using Oracle SQL Developer before I installed Designer (as part
of
> the suite). I will check this next week when I'm back at work again.
>
> Jens

If you're using more than one Oracle product, they may be installed in different Oracle home directories.
You have two ways of solving tnsnames problems:

  1. Find a working product, and copy the tnsnames.ora from its home directory to the other home,or
  2. set an (system) environment variable TNS_ADMIN pointing to the directory of the working product, hence all other products will use this directory too; usally it's something like c:\[oracle_home_name]\network\admin

Robbert Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 03:55:48 CDT