Re: The Oracle-No-Parameterized-View mystery ...

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 23:26:56 -0700

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Martin T. wrote:
> >
> > Simple Question: Why does Oracle not support parameters to views?
> >

> Please look up this topic on asktom.

I did - I found a few very good topics on the workaround solutions. Also the first hit on google when you look up "oracle parameterized views" is the Ask Tom site where he claims the 'we do' and then goes about to explain the userenv workaround. :)

> Please don't state his approach is workaround.
> Storing the parameters in a package and retrieving them by package
> functions or using sys_context both work quite well!

I'm sure they work well. Probably they work 90% of the time. But if I view a VIEW as a function/subroutine to hide complexity (I think Tom suggests this in some article) then I say Oracle does not support parameterized views, because I would need an additional pl/sql call for _each_ parameter. (using sys_context)

> It is quite a mystery to me why you state Oracle doesn't have
> parametrized views. It does!

It does not. This may only be my opinion on the matter, but if I am not able to use the 'parameters' to a view like I would use other parameters on functions or procedures then I think it does not deserve to be called parameter. :)

best,
Martin Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 01:26:56 CDT