Re: The Oracle-No-Parameterized-View mystery ...

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 06:59:16 -0700

Martin T. wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Simple Question: Why does Oracle not support parameters to views?
>
> Now don't tell me it does, it does support a bunch of workarounds which
> all in all will suffice for one problem or the other, but still they
> are workarounds. (I for example will use a PL/SQL function returning a
> ref cursor.)
>
> The question remains - a parameterized View seems to be a feature many
> people would like to use, so it's quite a mystery to me why Oracle is
> not implementing such a thing.
>
> Any opinion on this matter is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> best,
> Martin

Please look up this topic on asktom.
Please don't state his approach is workaround. Storing the parameters in a package and retrieving them by package functions or using sys_context both work quite well! It is quite a mystery to me why you state Oracle doesn't have parametrized views. It does!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA