Re: The Oracle-No-Parameterized-View mystery ...

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 23:34:38 -0700

Mark C. Stock wrote:
> "Martin T." <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de> wrote in message
> :
> : Simple Question: Why does Oracle not support parameters to views?
>
> if many people would like to have it, they should submit enhancement
> requests to oracle

Hm. Well ... maybe not so many :)
I really have no empirical evidence on this - it's just that I found a bunch of threads where people asked how to do it in Oracle.

> are you asking from an MS-Access perspective? in that environment the
> interface is tightly couple to the DB engine, so a parameterized (query)
> 'makes sense', since the gui can prompt the user

No, I do not use MS-Access. Oracle is the first Database I work with. (Apart from mysql or postgre)

> it really doesn't make sense in an RDBMS, since the RDBMS does not control
> the GUI, and each GUI would have to have it's own way to respond to some
> sort of message or exception from the database, then continue the operation

I'm sorry. I do not understand what parameters to views have to do with the GUI.

If my 4 applications have to do a complex query at 10 different locations I would naturally 'hide' this complex query in a view. If I can supply parameters to the view, then I can put more complexity into the view instead of the point where it's used, so my applications will be easier to maintain.

best,
Martin Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 01:34:38 CDT