Re: The Oracle-No-Parameterized-View mystery ...

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 23:14:16 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Martin T. wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Simple Question: Why does Oracle not support parameters to views?
> >

> What do you mean by parameters to views? Please be specific. Thanks.

CREATE VIEW complex_sorted_response (param1 DATE) <- there goes the parameter
select x, y, z from (... tables ...) <- some complex query where a = b and c = d ...
and time_stamp > param1
order by time_stamp

This way one could hide some query in a view (thus allowing to maybe change the query afterwards) and still allow for a performant response time. (I guess there are other use cases besides sorting where it would make sense to be able to push some filter into the view.)

best,
Martin Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 01:14:16 CDT