Re: The Oracle-No-Parameterized-View mystery ...

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 01:14:14 -0700

Martin T. wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
> > Martin T. wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > Simple Question: Why does Oracle not support parameters to views?
> > >

> > What do you mean by parameters to views? Please be specific. Thanks.
> >

> CREATE VIEW complex_sorted_response (param1 DATE) <- there goes the
> parameter
> select x, y, z from (... tables ...) <- some complex query
> where a = b and c = d ...
> and time_stamp > param1
> order by time_stamp
>
> This way one could hide some query in a view (thus allowing to maybe
> change the query afterwards) and still allow for a performant response
> time. (I guess there are other use cases besides sorting where it would
> make sense to be able to push some filter into the view.)
>
> best,
> Martin

Ah, I see, you advocate the uncontrollable Garbage In Garbage Out approach, and for THAT purpose you need the kludges you erroneously describe as 'parameters'

Aren't you aware that views are *compiled*. Know what *compiled* means. Know *dynamic sql* will bring Oracle to its knees? Or do you think
a) Oracle is sqlserver sold by a different vendor b) you know everything better.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA