Re: Setting bind variables or defines from applications?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:48:19 +0200

On 21 Apr 2006 06:27:22 -0700, "dean" <deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>What about dynamic SQL, that seems to be a decent method of selecting
>different tables at runtime. I have tried the union technique, lol
>never again!
>
>(btw Mr Bakker, I know our app sucks in many ways, but it was built
>with agile methodology, and makes a decent profit. It was founded on,
>of all things, a paradox database initially.)

Dynamic sql ---> hard parse ---> number #1 method to bring any server on it's knees. Didn't you read ever anything by Tom Kyte? So why do you propose using dynamic sql?

I understand your application was pieced together by the 'agile' method better known as *hacking* used by people with no clue about database design.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA