Re: SQLDMO for Oracle

From: ianal Vista <ianal_vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:50:22 GMT

narayan.k.verma_at_gmail.com wrote in news:1139027776.070510.164530 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I am developing a product where I do not want the users to directly
> work with these tools. I want that handled via my application.
>
> My goals apart, it there such a tool or API?
>
> SQLDMO does not re-invent the wheel. It just provides an API over
> which you can change the database structures, create backups etc.
> Those tools do have a value.

Those tools might have value in a MS SQL Server environment, but have no place in an Oracle environment.

Any application which provides users tha ability to change Oracle database structures has serious design flaws and won't scale.

On the surface, providing users the ability to "create backups" sounds laudable, but could be a recipe for disaster by filling up the collection area.

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems are viewed as nails. A hammer is a sub-optimal choice in a tool for cutting a piece of lumber. Received on Sat Feb 04 2006 - 08:50:22 CST