Re: Where do I start

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:42:15 +1000

damorgan_at_psoug.org says...
> Steen Persson (DK) wrote:

> > I'm a MS SQL Server DBA and I know next ot nothing about how Oracle works.
> > Now I need to get involved in our Oracle server (some administration and
> > querying databases) so where do I start? Can any of you point me to some
> > good "Oracle Beginners guide" on how to do the basic stuff?

> 1. Buy a copy of Tom Kyte's "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read
> the first three chapters with care.

As someone that still considers himself a newbie (about 2.5 years into Oracle):

  1. Buy a copy of Tom Kyte's "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read the first three chapters with care.
  2. Skim through the rest of the chapters of "Expert one-on-one Oracle" to get a basic overview of some of the other concepts.
  3. Re-read the first three chapters of "Expert one-on-one Oracle" with care.
  4. Thoroughly read the rest of the chapters of "Expert one-on-one Oracle" to get a better overview of some of the other concepts.
  5. Re-read the first three chapters of "Expert one-on-one Oracle" with care.
  6. Buy and read Jonathan Lewis' "Practical Oracle 8i - Building Efficient Databases".
  7. Re-read the first three chapters of "Expert one-on-one Oracle" with care.

Geoff M Received on Sun Sep 11 2005 - 18:42:15 CDT