Re: Where do I start

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:20:04 -0700

Steen Persson (DK) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm a MS SQL Server DBA and I know next ot nothing about how Oracle works.
> Now I need to get involved in our Oracle server (some administration and
> querying databases) so where do I start? Can any of you point me to some
> good "Oracle Beginners guide" on how to do the basic stuff?
> I've installed the Oracle client and started to dig around to see how it
> looks, but it's not all very clear. What is the Oracle equivalent to MS SQL
> Server's Query Analyzer and Books On Line?
>
> Regards
> Steen

In addition to the excellent advice you have already received.

  1. Buy a copy of Tom Kyte's "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read the first three chapters with care.
  2. Demos of much of Oracle's most used functionality can be found at www.psoug.org in Morgan's Library

Some additional things to remember.

The entire architecture is different from SQL Server so things that make sense in SQL Server such as making small transactions, using temporary tables, using cursors, are not things you should do in Oracle. Be sure you understand the underlying concepts and architecture before writing even a single line of code.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org