Re: logged into SQL*Plus now what

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:02:59 -0500

"dak" <kpec090981_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AbbFd.84894$dv1.6133_at_edtnps89...
> I just ran:
> select table_name from dba_tables (found that one on the forum);
>
> I see things that look like tables and fields such as the one below - but
> don't see table names. I even ran the LIST command to see my buffer....I'm
> moving right along.
> I'm guessing, those (costs, sales etc) are 6 fields in a table.
> TABLE_NAME
> ---------------------------------
> PROMOTIONS
> CHANNELS
> PRODUCTS
> TIMES
> COSTS
> SALES
You are guessing incorrectly, a side effect of winging it. Get a SQL in 21 days book, or Oracle for Dummies (which is actually pretty good), or something - anything is better than nothing.

> Wing'ing it will have to do (for now). Many tourist wing it and take a
> dictionary along with them on vacation in another country and do the best
> they can with what they know.

Bad analogy. You don't have a dictionary, and you obviously need one.

> Sorry, haven't taken a course, read a book yet, nor am I a dba or
programmer
> but isn't this a board that helps newbies begin as well as the experts
that
> already know it ?

It depends on who feels like answering. Mostly, it is for those who already know the basics but are having problems with "advanced" issues (a gray area with no boundries). This group is not a substitute for learning the basics first, and despite early returns, you will soon be told to RTFM by readers who tire of reading questions that are answered in basic documentation. There were several good suggestions made in other posts regarding where to find info and on what to concentrate. In the meantime, don't type "DELETE", "DROP", or "TRUNCATE". :)