Re: logged into SQL*Plus now what

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:38:32 -0800

dak wrote:

> Finally logged in 10g on WinXP using sysman as username and the password I
> gave during install.
> I'm totally a newbie and I'm in Oracle SQL*Plus (still can't seem to log on
> the Web Enterprise Manager).
> Just at the SQL> | prompt......and......now what ?
>
> Is there a sample dB, files/tables to access?
> I can do the help index...but I'm atta lost.........baby steps here.
>
> I'll be taking my first sql course in a few months but want to play a bit
> before than. No, I don't have a book either and I'm just wing'ing it.
> Thanks.

I agree with Alan ... take a class.

But until then here's a possibility.

  1. Create a user ... you should never do work as SYS or SYSTEM. you can find the syntax at http://www.psoug.org ... click on Morgan's Library then click on Users.
  2. Log on as that user and use the Tables, Constraints, and Indexes pages at the web site referenced above to create the different types of tables, constraints, and indexes.
  3. Then work your way through the demo on Views
  4. Then sequences
  5. Then INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, WHERE CLAUSE, and JOINS

That should keep you busy on the SQL*Plus side. But before you do that go to a local bookstore and order Tom Kyte's books and start reading the Concepts documents at tahiti.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington