Re: help with group by

From: G Quesnel <dbaguy_ott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2005 12:02:36 -0800

One small note on your first point ...
I agree that doing a count on a numeric column can lead to misunderstanding, but take the case of doing a count on a text column or date column, then it becomes very clear. My point is that count(column) does have something to do with the column value, it will only count non null value... and I have come across real business case where we would do both count(column), count(*) in the same select statement (but we didn't care about distinct values).

Question on your second option:
Do you know if there is a "significant" cost incured with the inline view. If people had a million rows and since we don't do any row triming, would there be a sub table built with 2 columns and a million rows ? (I still think it's good, I am just curioius) Received on Wed Jan 12 2005 - 14:02:36 CST