Re: Standby DB & New Datafile

From: Olaf Musch <Olaf.Musch_at_computer.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:45:28 +0100

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:SpW5c.59$%G5.1_at_newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Hi

HI Mill,

> We run oracle 8i on w2k server at our site we have a production db & standby
> db,

We're running 9i R2 on W2K. So let's try... BTW: You really should upgrade to 9i R2. Especially in DataGuarding, 9i is much more stable than 8i.

> I have recently created a new datafile on the production system do i need to
> create the
> same on the standby machine or will it automatically create the file from
> the archive logs ?

Do you run a physical standby or a logical standby db?

For physical standby: The new datafile should be created automatically on the standby server

For a logical standby this is not done, because only the logical structure ist mirrored to the standby system. I think you can add a datafile to the standby db with OEM.

> I presume i can't just create the same file on the standby db as it's only
> ever open
> in read only mode !

That sounds like logical standby.
Try to add a datafile from within OEM.

I hope this helps

Olaf Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 05:45:28 CST